The Human Rights Commission is seeking a Website Development/Social Media Outreach Intern for Summer, 2018.
The Barnstable County Human Rights Commission is searching for an intern that can assist in updating their WordPress website and developing social media outreach to promote their organization’s mission. They are looking for driven students who have a passion for human rights and desire to learn and grow their personal skill sets. Hours are flexible, 10 – 19.5 hours weekly.
- Collaborates with Human Rights volunteer to develop goals for updating the WordPress and social media engagement;
- Apply knowledge of WordPress to update website;
- Utilizes social media to engage with a community of followers online;
- Demonstrates interest in social media and how media and communication strategies can continuously engage the online community.
- Competence in WordPress Content Management System;
- Must have good oral and written communication skills;
- Familiarity with social media platforms for community engagement (Twitter and Facebook);
- Ability to maintain confidences with staff and volunteers working with sensitive and/or confidential information about human rights violations;
- Ability to complete assigned tasks in a timely fashion with only minimal supervision.
Education level preferred: Open to Juniors and Seniors or Graduates, preferably having had coursework in website development, graphic art, and human rights.
What can you expect to gain from this internship?
You will gain an increased understanding of the field of Human Rights and the complex dynamics of governmental and volunteer collaboration in educating about/advocating for basic human rights on a county-wide basis, and Human Rights advocacy resources and laws on the county, state and federal levels. You will also gain practical experience in working with WordPress and social media for effective human rights education and advocacy on multiple levels.